Thursday, January 19, 2012

Beauty on a Budget: My Top 5 Non-High End Makeup Products

We often hear from makeup experts that a product's price does not always reflect its quality. Experience tells me this is true, for as long as you know how to rummage those shelves and counters, a good find definitely awaits.

These products are usually referred to as "Drugstore Products." However, here in my country, these aren't usually sold in drugstores (except Watsons) but in department stores, so I won't call them as such. They are actually considered to be more "right in the middle" - not too expensive but not too cheap either.

So, here are some of my favorite non-high end makeup products that are both face and pocket-friendly:

1.) Revlon Colorstay Foundation
My everyday foundation! I like this a lot better than the Photoready one which makes the face look "glowy" but not in a good way (It's for photography use, after all). It gives medium to full coverage, light so it's perfect for those humid days, and stays for long hours as long as you use a good setting powder (I'm yet to find a good drugstore setting powder, though. Any recommendation?). I'm in the shade "Buff."

2.) Maybelline Pure Cover Mineral Concealer
I mainly use this to reduce the dark circles around the eyes. It's creamy, easy to blend, and has the consistency of a liquid foundation. I use a Sigma blending brush or just my forefinger to apply it. I actually chose a shade that's a tad bit lighter than my skin tone since I want the area around my eyes to appear brighter and more awake. I have tried other drugstore concealers but so far, this is my absolute favorite. I use this every single day.

3.) NYX Jumbo Eye Pencils

I absolutely love these products. They're affordable but of really, really good quality. I use them as base for my eye shadow for dramatic evening looks. They do crease, though, so you need  a good lid primer before application. Another downside of these for me is that you cannot use any other sharpeners as they won't fit; thus, you have to purchase a NYX sharpener, too. (It's cheap, I know, but still...)

4.) Revlon Colorstay Liquid Liner


This is actually what I used to learn how to do the cat eye look. Kind of like my practice tool. Haha. It dries up really fast, but if you make a mistake, it can be wiped off easily with a cotton swab and makeup remover. However, the felt tip can be quite tricky after some time (It sort of sheds? Or maybe I've just overused it. Haha.). I still prefer my more expensive liquid liner over this, but for it's price, it does a pretty decent job.

5.) Essence of Beauty - Deluxe Duo Set for Face


I only like the Foundation and Concealer brush in this set, but it cannot be bought separately.  The other two aren't that bad, but I have other brushes that I prefer over them. I seldom use a Foundation Brush to apply my foundation (I prefer using a Stippling Brush), but this one is a really good dupe for MAC 190. Sometimes I feel that it does an even better job than the high-end one.

All images owned by their respective owners.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Ayra Blogs About Things Copyright © 2009 Paper Girl is Designed by Ipietoon Sponsored by Online Business Journal