Sunday, January 29, 2012

Hair Affairs: My Curent Hair Color

I've only started dyeing my hair about 3 years ago when I finally got the courage to do so. Not because I'm scared that the color won't turn out as I wanted it to, but because I have always heard that hair rebonding and hair coloring do not exactly mix. I have a naturally curly, kind of weirdly textured hair. My mom wasn't exactly fond of it, so she brought me to a salon at age 9 to have it fixed. AGE 9. Of course the hairstylist turned us down. Haha. He said we should wait 'til I'm atleast a teenager.

So my obedient, rule-abiding mom waited for a good 4 years. Yup, I have been straightening my hair since I was 13. :)

But it was just in 2009 when I finally gave hair dyeing a shot. It took me about 3-4 attempts to finally find the product that really satisfied me.I've only been to a professional salon for hair coloring once but was never satisfied with the result. The stylist freaked out a bit in the middle of the dyeing session, so he had to make certain adjustments to the mixture. The result was not the color I wanted. Pfft.

I don't know the exact length of my hair (Is there anyone who even knows his/her own? LOL), but it reaches around the chest area. It takes me about 3-4 boxes of hair dye to fully dye my hair, and I usually leave it on for more than an hour or so.

I have tried Revlon Colorsilk in Strawberry Blonde and a L'Oreal one but I couldn't remember what exactly it was. I was quite okay with Revlon the first time I used it, but when I had to touch up on my roots a few months later, I was shocked with the result. My hair was completely damaged (even if the product says it's ammonia-free), and I had to deep condition my hair a lot more than usual. I even had to keep my hair in a ponytail all the time. With L'Oreal, I don't exactly remember experiencing too much damage, but I wasn't satisfied with how the color turned out. So, I had to look for another alternative.



At last, I think I've found it. My current favorite and certainly the one I'd be using from now on is Clairol Nice 'n Easy Permanent Hair Color Level 3. I took the lightest shade available (Natural Extra Neutral Blonde #98) because my hair is naturally dark. It is actually black to dark brown (I believe it turned out like that because my hair is really dry and damaged), so even if I wanted a drastic color change to make it lighter, I had to do it gradually.



 
Right now, though my hair looks healthier than what I imagined it would be after several coats, I'm still a bit unsatisfied. Not with the product, but with the extent of what I can actually do with my hair. I wanted it to be in a lighter shade, not platinum blonde but more like on the golden side. I've already scrapped the idea of bleaching my hair (I cannot afford any more hair disasters), so I guess I'm going to have to stick to this light brown color for a while. Will post pictures soon. :)

Hair companies, please come up with a product that would solve my dilemma. Thank you. ^_^


All images belong to their respective owners.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Ayra Blogs About Things Copyright © 2009 Paper Girl is Designed by Ipietoon Sponsored by Online Business Journal