Thursday, January 26, 2012

Beauty before Bedtime: My Evening Skincare Routine


Asian girls (like me) are skincare junkies. On the average, they use 9-12 products at night to maintain their flaw-free skin and youthful glow. Though some argue that piling on tons of products can actually defeat the purpose, many girls still swear on the effectiveness of their tedious skincare routines.

As for myself, I rarely use several beauty products on my face before going to bed, but I make sure that I have gotten rid of all the face products I used throughout the day before I go to sleep. My skin is acne-prone, oily to combination type. Though it looks a lot better now that I'm in my 20s, like most girls I used to suffer from terrible acne problems back when I was a teen. Some acne scarring and hyperpigmentation are still visible (THAT time of the month that causes a few spots every now and then is something that some girls have to live for for several decades), but they're somehow more manageable now. 

I don't spend much on skin care compared to my makeup purchases, but the best products aren't usually the expensive ones anyway. I opted for those that have ingredients that work well for my skin-type.

So, here are the simple steps I follow:

1. Removing my eye makeup. This is the most challenging part for me. Haha. That is why I do not use waterproof mascara every day. Removing it at night is such a pain. For now I'm using either Human Nature Sunflower Seed Beauty Oil or my DIY Extra Virgin Olive Oil makeup remover. 

2. Getting rid of my face makeup. The uber popular Clarisonic Mia Skin Cleansing System is definitely an essential for me. After reading several rave reviews about it, I decided to give in and purchase one for myself. I absolutely love it! I got the Nordstrom exclusive one in fuchsia pink that comes with two brush heads, a charger, a Clarisonic Gentle Hydro Cleanser in sample size (I haven't tried using it), and a hot pink pouch for travel use. It's no longer available though there are other designs and colors you can choose from. I use it in the morning and at night along with my Olay Clarity fresh cleanser for oily to combination skin.

Do NOT use the Clarisonic Mia to remove your eye makeup. Just don't.

3. Drying up the face. I wipe my face with a soft tissue, not a towel. Towels can be some sort of a breeding ground for bacteria (LOL. weird wording). At least with a tissue, I can easily toss it away when I'm done. I don't use too much, though. Gotta care for the environment. ^_^

4. Applying a toner. The one I'm using right now is Human Nature Balancing Face Toner. It is a 100% natural, no-alcohol toner that contains orange and elemi with sugar beets. I used to use the Balancing Face Wash paired with it, but it contains tiny bamboo scrubs that aren't ideal for my Clarisonic Mia, so I switched back to Olay.

5. Skipping moisturizers. I haven't found the perfect night moisturizer because all that I've tested so far either broke me out or made my skin even more oily. So, at the moment, no night moisturizers for me. But I really need to find a good one soon because we all know how important moisturizers are. Hopefully, by the next time I update my routine, I can already recommend one.

6. Applying Eye Roll-on. I use Garnier Brightening Eye Roll-on. I can't say much about it's brightening effect, but it does work on getting rid of puffy eyes. Most of the time, I just massage it under my eyes over and over again while looking downwards to avoid too much product out pour. It's cold, so it can relax tired eyes.

7. Putting on some lip balm. This, of course, is to prevent chappy lips when I wake up the next day. I use EOS lip balms or Nivea A Kiss of Flavor Lip Care.

Once or twice a week, I exfoliate my skin with Human Nature Super Fruits and Black Rice Facial Scrub. It smells really good and does a good job in removing dead skin cells. After using it, my skin feels really fresh.

I also use Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque once or twice a week. The label says to leave the product on for 15 mins., but I let it dry on my face much longer than that. I love how my skin feels afterwards.

As you can tell, most of the products I use are really pocket-friendly (and chemical-free!), except for the Clarisonic Mia. I still highly recommend it like the rest of the other beauty buffs because it is worth the price. It is a really good skincare investment.

These are what I do at the moment, but I'll surely make a few changes every now and then since the skin becomes immune to products after using them for a while. Gotta purchase an eye cream, too.




Disclaimer: This is a non-sponsored post. All products mentioned were personally purchased by the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Ayra Blogs About Things Copyright © 2009 Paper Girl is Designed by Ipietoon Sponsored by Online Business Journal