Friday, January 3, 2014

American TV Shows I Currently Follow and Love: 2 Broke Girls, The Carrie Diaries, and New Girl

While about 70&-80% of my viewing time is spent on Japanese dramas and movies, I still enjoying watching American TV series. I prefer comedy and youth-oriented themes over vampires and mystery-thrillers because they make me happy and relaxed after a busy day (IanSomerhalder has really sexy eyes though). Plus, I get enough dose of those dark themes in some of the Japanese shows I watch. I need a good balance. lol.

Here are my favorites:

2 Broke Girls


Some people may find the show’s themes and languages quite offensive. In fact, I’ve already heard about 3 racist remarks against Filipinos in its three seasons (and still running). But if you can keep an open-mind about crude humor then you’ll find this show very, very enjoyable. Kat Dennings and Beth Behrs make quite the funny pair. And the cupcakes are really cute.
Favorite Character(s): Max and Caroline, of course! Season 3 has introduced interesting new characters, too. I like Luis and Deke. J
Least Favorite Character:  NONE. Everyone’s funny. Even the guests have impeccable comedic timing.
Favorite Scene(s) so far: When Chef Nicholas offered his jacket to Caroline (Season 3 Episode 11). It was “visually appealing.” Haha!
Favorite Episode so far: Season 1’s finale with Martha Stewart. Max and Caroline wore really pretty dresses. And Max’s goodbye speech with Johnny was “awesome!”

New Girl

I decided to follow this show from the very first season because I love Zoey in 500 Days of Summer. Her character’s image in that movie was so strong I thought I’d forever see her as Summer, the heartbreaker. But after 3 seasons of New Girl (again, still running), I got used to seeing her as the perky and lovable teacher Jessica Day.
Favorite Character(s): Jess and Schmidt. Actually it’s Schmidt > Jess. Schmidt totally owns that show.
Least Favorite Character: Nick. He’s really starting to annoy me after he and Jess began dating. I guess you really see the ugly in one person once you’re in a relationship. lol.
Favorite Scene so far: When Nick kissed Jess for the very first time (Nick still wasn’t on my bad book back then). That was intense!
Favorite Episode so far: That episode in Season 1 when Jess took all her stuff from the house she shared with her ex.


The Carrie Diaries
I watch this show mainly for the 80s fashion. Though I didn’t really watch the Sex and the City series (I was busy with anime back then. Haha!), I’ve seen the two movies. And while I was still too young to watch Sex and the City before, I’m now too old for The Carrie Diaries. Hahaha. Still, that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the show, right? :) I mean, look at their clothes!
Favorite Character(s): Carrie, Samantha, and Donna. All the fashionable girls. Haha!
Least Favorite Character: Maggie, I guess? Well, she’s not that hate-able, really. By the way, I think Katie Findlay looks a bit like Leighton Meester.
Favorite Scene so far: When Carrie told Sebastian she missed him, and Sebastian said he missed her too because he loves her (Season 2 Episode 6). I squealed like a 13-year-old. Haha.
I was royally pissed when Jane By Design and Don’t Trust the B- in Apartment 23 got cancelled. While Jane By Design has the cliché plot guy-girl-bestfriends who's secretly in love with each other, as someone who loves fashion it’s definitely a must-see. Erica Dasher wore really amazing clothes in the series. And just when things between Jane and Billy were starting to get interesting, poof! The show is cancelled.

Don't Trust the B- has its own charms though, and I think the inclusion of a distorted, fictional version of James Van Der Beek was a genius idea. It's such a pity they had to cut the series right in the middle of the second season. There were about 8 episodes left unaired which they broadcasted online, and that was really nice.

So, there you have it. My favorite non-Japanese TV shows. Can't wait for the newest season of Game of Thrones. Haha!

*All images belong to their respective owners.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Ayra Blogs About Things Copyright © 2009 Paper Girl is Designed by Ipietoon Sponsored by Online Business Journal