Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The Philippines' Success in Beauty Pageants Last 2013

…and my attempt at answering past pageant questions. Haha!

The year 2013 has been quite eventful for the Philippines beauty pageant-wise. The country is such a big pageant fan, so you can just imagine the delight of many Filipinos when the Philippines, for the first time in history, bagged almost all of the major beauty titles in the world. 

(I remember when I went to Japan last October, one of my fellow JENESYS 2.0 participants from Indonesia, Stella, actually congratulated me for Megan Young’s Miss World victory. Haha. It actually felt really good even though, well, I’m not Megan. [duh!])

I get my frequent updates on pageant goings-on from one of my former university professors, Dr. Gene S. Navera, who’s a “major, major” pageant fan. It’s always a huge treat to see his fun-filled Facebook posts. :)

So as I was watching the news the other day, I suddenly remembered answering a questionnaire from Japinoy.com (a forum for Filipino Japanophiles, in which I’m a moderator) filled with some of the most memorable pageant questions that were actually asked to the finalists. It was quite enjoyable, really, but I don’t think I can give any decent answer if I were one of the contestants. I'd totally freeze on stage. Haha. 

I wrote all of these in 2009, and some are really cringe-worthy. Hahaha. But in line with the country’s recent pageant success, allow me to share this little experiment I did as a former beauty queen-wannabe. Haha.




1. Has being a beautiful woman made your life easier or has it prevented people from taking you seriously in business situations?

It will be utter hypocrisy to say that being considered beautiful isn’t advantageous at all. Beauty is a blessing – "a quality bestowed upon one". It’s just that beautiful women who experience biases at first are faced with the challenge of proving that they are beyond what the eyes can see. And a woman who’s capable of overcoming such embodies the real essence of beauty. 


2. What do you consider is the most important thing in life?


The most important thing in life is to be surrounded by people who will serve as your support system and critics at the same time. They play a pivotal role in achieving personal growth.


3. If there were one particular wardrobe item you couldn't live without, what would it be and why?


Undergarments! I don't think I could ever leave the house without any of these. Not only is it uncomfortable not to wear one, people can also tell.   


4. If a company hires you just for your looks, will you take the job?


Yes. Beauty and intellect are both gifts from God of equal worth. Being blessed with the looks that will take you to places is just as rare and fortunate as being blessed with the brains that will land you a job. So, if you are lucky to have one, why not take advantage of it? 


5. If you are given the opportunity to know your future, would you like to know it?


I'd rather not. Being unaware of what lies ahead of you is what makes life an exciting journey.


6. Everyone wants to be successful, how would you know when you are successful?


I know I’m successful if after a certain task, I get self-fulfillment and peace of mind. It is important to me that I satisfy myself first before anyone else. After all, how would you convince others that you have achieved success if you yourself aren’t confident about it? 


7. What is the most important advice your mother ever gave you?


Treasure your femininity because it is one of the many important things that will make your man love you even more. 


8. In many parts of the world obstacles still exist that impede women from achieving their goals. What can women do to overcome this?


Through the years, women have become capable of making names for themselves in the history of mankind. I believe that this is attributed to the fact that women have educated themselves. It is through education that they have become smarter, more assertive, and stronger. Obstacles will always be present, but if a woman is equipped with the strength and knowledge to influence those around her, she’ll surely make a difference. 


9. Do you believe men or women have it easier in life, and why?


Men and women in general were born to have differences so I don’t think there is any point of comparison at all. What’s important is that they live their lives in the way that these differences would complement each other and make living a worthwhile experience.


10. What is the biggest sacrifice you've ever had to make and how did you handle it?


I’ve only lived my life for a little over two decades and I don’t think I’ve ever encountered a situation which calls for huge sacrifices on my part. I feel truly blessed for that. But so far, the one thing that I would consider as my biggest sacrifice in life is having to live far from my family for four years in order to finish college in the university I want. I’ve never been away from them prior to that. It was tough but everything paid off. 


11. What makes you blush? 


Whenever I commit verbal blunders and get smirked at by people.
12. In the next day or so, a man will land on the moon. If a man from the moon landed in your hometown, what would you do to entertain him? 
I will treat him just like how I normally treat any other guest. I’ll make sure to let him have a taste of the famous Filipino hospitality. 


13. How many islands are there in the Philippines?


Books tell us there are 7,107 islands. It fluctuates depending on the tide, though. 


14. What is the biggest challenge in your life?


Life’s biggest trial is living life itself. It’s an everyday challenge. 




Is it so obvious I got tired towards the end? lol.

P.S. You can view my original post here. It’s actually peppered with a lot of side comments that only my forum friends can relate to. Haha. So I just deleted them all.

Anyway, I hope the Philippines will once again conquer the pageant stage this 2014. The Miss Universe crown this time, yes? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Ayra Blogs About Things Copyright © 2009 Paper Girl is Designed by Ipietoon Sponsored by Online Business Journal